Thursday, September 16, 2010

Smith's Rosebud Salve...in a Tube!

I've always seen Smith's Rosebud Salve as I stood in line for the cashier at Sephora. Several times, their cute little metal tins have called out to me as I tried to resist grabbing any more little knick knacks on the way to the register. Those clear containers that you have to line up next to? Pure evil! A guaranteed way to make a girl spend JUST A LITTLE MORE by causing acute shifty-eye-syndrome and chronic just-one-more-thing disease. They sure as heck work on me. :P

Although I've been guilty of indulging in one of those smaller-sized products near the counter, I never bought the Smith's Rosebud Salve. Even though I knew that it had rave reviews and seems to show up on everyone's list of "must-haves," I was always turned off by the little tin. Even though it's vintage-looking and cute (and, in addition to the original Rose-scented balm, also comes in flavors like Minted Rose and Strawberry), every time I opened the sample, the product inside was melted and all over the place, making it look very messy and unhygienic. And so, I would wistfully walk away from a potentially great lip balm because of its packaging.


This all changed when I discovered that they now have the same lip balm in a tube! I picked one up right away and have been using it religiously ever since. This product really is wonderful. It smells of roses, but not in an overbearing way. Just very clean and comforting. Apparently it's a "multitasking miracle balm" that "not only moisturizes and soothes dry lips; it also calms and heals irritation, soothes the sting of minor burns, helps heal cuts, tames mangled cuticles, helps fix ashy elbows and knees, and minimizes diaper rash."


Close up of the tube opening


I haven't tried it on anything but my lips, but I'm sure that it would work great on ragged cuticles and dry spots. The formula feels moisturizing without being sticky. It goes on very easily due to its almost gloss-like consistency. It comes out as a pale peachy pink, but goes on clear. The only gripe I have with this lip balm is that I find it doesn't go well with lipstick if you're planning to wear some on top of it. Because it's so shiny and glossy, lipstick won't go on as well as it would with, say, a drier stick formula like Burt's Bees. That being said, I don't really have any complaints because I'm fine with using this balm on its own. It adds some shine without color, perfect to put on without a mirror and then go on with my day. I wouldn't say it's my pick for favorite lip balm, but it's definitely up there in terms of quality, value ($6 for the tube and $7 for the tin, but I think it will last you a while either way), and cuteness factor.

If you're already a fan, but are tired of the tin leaking melted lip balm all over your purse or having to use your finger, you'll like this new convenient tube format. If you've never tried Rosebud Salve, you should give it a go, especially now that they have a variety of packaging for you to choose from.

If you're doubtful, just give in to that little voice inside your head and pick up a cute tin or tube the next time you're in line at Sephora. ;)

You won't be disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. waaah! i should have waited for this tube version! i seldom use my rosebud salve because i dont like pot packaging that much. :(

    hehe thank you for sharing this to us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have their minted rose lipbalm and orig rosebud salve in tins.. glad that they now have the tube version ..

    ReplyDelete