Monday, September 13, 2010

Mixed Fruit Tart

Speaking of berries...Here's a mixed fruit tart that I made a few weeks ago. Looking at the pictures now makes me hungry for a fat slice of it! This is quite possibly the most impressive thing that I have baked thus far, but it wasn't actually that difficult to make! I, of course, relied on smittenkitchen once again for the crust and the pastry cream, and this site for some more tart-making tips.

I mentioned in my last post how much I love autumn and winter, but the one thing I miss most about summer (besides nice weather) is the abundance of produce. All my favorite fruits and vegetables are at their prime during summer and spring. This tart has very simple elements, and the fruit is the star attraction, so make sure to use things that are in season for the best flavor. Unfortunately, berry season is almost over so I'll have to start making apple tarts...


This is the creme patissiere (pastry cream). This stuff is like crack. You don't even need to make the tart; just make this cream and dip with shortbread cookies, cut fruit, cake, your fingers...it's seriously that good!


And it has to be good. It required an actual vanilla bean and it's made from butter, milk, and eggs. How can that combination not be good?? Well, maybe if you're talking about your figure....but hey, we're not going to think about that right now!


The most difficult part of this tart was the shell, or pate sucree. But if you have a nice removable bottom tart pan (thanks bf!) and some patience, it should turn out just fine.



See those slashes in the crust?? I had to run some errands while it was baking and asked my mom to keep an eye on it. She slashed it with a knife when she thought it was puffing up too much...lol. This picture was taken while I was spreading apricot jam on the crust to prevent the cream and fruit from making it too soggy...nice tip!


Putting in the pastry cream...


Arranging the fruit...


Almost done...


Finished product!


Me, super happy with the results of my first fruit tart


My family was happy, too. It was gone in 5 minutes. Literally. I didn't even get a slice! I barely got to take a bite from my cousin's plate. But trust me, it was goooooooood :)

3 comments: