Wednesday, April 8, 2009

the coming of spring


I know it's Wednesday already, but I had to recap the wonderful weekend I had! Not having Friday classes rocks :) Fridays are like my preparation for the weekend haha. The boy and I usually grab lunch and then go do something fun. Last Friday we went to The Grove to go to the American Girl Place. American Girl originally started out as a book series starring girls from different eras of American history. There would be like a colonial girl, a Victorian girl, a WWII girl, a 70's girl...I used to collect the boxed series in elementary school. Eventually the franchise expanded to include dolls, movies (even one starring Abigail Breslin from "Little Miss Sunshine" I think), and a store. Currently there are only three stores: in Los Angeles, Chicago, and New York. Anyway, my aunt went to Chicago 2 years ago and got my little cousin a doll. Her 9th birthday just passed, and even though I'm all the way in LA, I wanted to get her a little something something. So I purchased a new outfit for her doll

Me inside the American Girl Place, which is pretty crazy. I can understand why there are only three stores like it in the US. I mean, the store is like a mall in itself! Two stories big, with everything from a hospital to a hair salon to a theater to a cafe where you can dine with your doll!

After we stopped at the AGP, we shared some fish and chips. Since it's Lent, no meat on Fridays

I've been wanting to try Scoops for a while now...this is like the best gelato place in the city! I was so happy I finally got to go!! Scoops is known for all their interesting flavor combinations. Owned by Tai Kim, it showcases flavors such as strawberry balsamic vinegar, peach and pink champagne, bourbon vanilla, horchata, maple oreo, blueberry ricotta, coffee irish cream, lavendar honey, green tea coconut white chocolate...the list goes on and the flavors vary from day to day


I got two scoops :) Brown bread (available everyday, bottom scoop) and Guiness Tiramisu. The boy played it safe with mango passion fruit sorbet. The Guiness Tiramisu was soooo good. It was chocolatey, full-flavored, with a definite not-so-subtle taste of beer. Sounds weird, but trust me, the combination was awesome. I wish I could go everyday just to sample the ever-changing flavors!

If you're in the Los Angeles area, come check it out:

712 N Heliotrope Dr
Los Angeles, CA 90029
(323) 906-2649

And don't forget to be adventurous with your taste buds! :)

2 comments:

  1. Aw how cute!! Haha nice, two scoops! :p...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo I'm so excited for your blog Susie! You have great prose and I like your writing style. U inspire me to go out and explore more of LA! WOOHOO! You better keep this up-to-date :)

    ReplyDelete